Health Tip # 10 – Depression
A few years ago, Japanese were on top for committing suicide. Probably their religion allow them to kill themselves. In Islam, suicide is Haram (prohibited). Muslim believe that Al-mighty Allah created us and granted us our lives. Only Allah can take our lives back and we are not allowed to kill our selves. If some one commit suicide, it mean that he/she has taken the power of Allah, and it is a great sin.
Now a days, we read daily in news papers that 4 to 6 people committed suicide, the last step of a person to be rescued from worries. if we dig deeper why a person commit suicide , we will find Depression on top , among other causes.
Depression is a mood disorder that can effect a person’s daily life . It can be described as ” feeling of sadness, loss or anger ” (www.healthline.com)
Causes of Depression:
Medical community does not fully understand causes of Depression. There are many possible reasons:
- Family history —– high risk
- Early childhood trauma.
- Brain structure : If the frontal lobe of brain is less active.
- Medical condition : Chronic illness, Insomnia, Chronic pain or
attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Drug use ; A history of drug or alcohol misuse.
- Low Self esteem or being self critical.
- Personal history of mental illness.
- Certain medication.
- Stressful events such as Loss of loved one, Economic problems, or a divorce.
- Extremity of any problem.
- Depressed mood.
- Reduced interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed.
- A loss of sexual desire.
- Changes in appetite.
- Unintentional weight loss or gain.
- Sleeping too much or too little.
- Agitation, restlessness and pacing up and down.
- Slowed movement and speech.
- Fatigue or loss of energy.
- Feeling of worthlessness or guilt.
- Difficulty in thinking, concentration or making decision.
- Recurrent thoughts of death, or suicide or attempt to suicide.
Depression in female is nearly twice common as in male with following symptoms :
- Mood swing.
- Dwelling on negative thoughts.
Depression is treatable and managing symptoms usually involves three components :
- Support : Discussing practical solution and possible causes with family members and try to move the causes.
- Psychothrophy : Known as Talking therapy. Some option include one-to-one counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
- Drug Treatment : A Doctor may prescribe antidepressants. Doctor will tell how to take medicines and what are the side effects of those medicines .
Beside the above treatments, do the following;
- Analyze honestly the cause of Depression ? Find out the route of your sickness. You will be surprised to know that the cause
is quite ignorable . Try to through away that cause, and you are
back on a happy life track.
- Try not to be alone. Participate in relatives/friends’ gathering.
Talk with them and do not sit alone .
- Go for some exercise in Gym. or go for a walk early morning and in the after noon. This will help you to fight against Depression. Remember, we can fight more effectively if we
have good health and strong will power.
- If possible , go with friends or relatives on a out door tour.
enjoy seeing beautiful places. Breath in fresh unpolluted air
Life is a very special gift of Al-Mighty Allah. Do not kill yourself. Live like a happy person. Only coward people commit suicide. Fight your Depression bravely . And be hoped for the best. See always the bright side of life. Allah help them who help themselves.
May Al-mighty Allah grant us power to fight against diseases.