Let us know our Cholesterol (PART # 2)
Foods that raise LDL Cholesterol:
Researchers spent years to find out which foods produce LDL in our body. They claim that saturated fats are the main cause to raise LDL level in our body, and increase the risk for heart disease. Some foods are high in saturated fats . These foods compel or encourage our Liver to produce more LDL , the bad cholesterol. It is advised to limit these foods ;
- Full fat dairy products.
- Sausage, bacon and hot dogs.
- Red meat, including beef, lamb and pork.
- Processed foods.
- Baked foods.
The following foods are high in trans fats and increase LDL, the “Bad Cholesterol”:
- Cakes. Cookies.
- Crackers , fried foods.
- Margarine and microwave popcorn.
HDL Cholesterol is known as ” good cholesterol”. HDL transports Cholesterol to our Liver . Our Liver then expel it from our body. HDL help our body to remove excess Cholesterol from our body. In this way Cholesterol does not stay longer in our arteries.
2013 Review show that smokers usually have lower HDL Cholesterol as compared to non smokers. It was also mentioned that quitting smoking will increase HDL levels.
Cause of high Cholesterol:
- Diet high in red meat, full-fat dairy products, trans fats, saturated fats and processed foods.
- Lack of regular exercise.
- A possible reason to have high Cholesterol is , if one has a large waist circumference. It should not be over 40 inches for male and 35 inches for female.
Treatment of high Cholesterol :
Doctors usually recommend changes in life style. Thy may advise :
- Eat healthy diet.
- Stop smoking.
- Exercise regularly.
- Reduce stress.
Sometimes life style changes are not so effective as we hope, specially if one has FH. In such case you may need one or more medication. Your Doctor can recommend the following :
- Statins — It will help our Liver to get rid of excess Cholesterol.
- Bile-acid binding medications. These medications will help our body to use extra cholesterol to produce bile.
- Cholesterol absorption inhibitors. Such medications will
prevent our small intestine to absorb cholesterol and
release it into bloodstream.
- Injection which compel our Liver to absorb more LDL
It is strongly recommended to consult your Doctor before taking above medications.
Every one knows that our food has a great effect on our body. The Health Specialists recommend to eat following food to reduce total Cholesterol and increase HDL:
- Fruits and vegetables.
- Whole grains.
- Skinless poultry, lean pork and lean red meat.
- Unsalted seeds and nuts .
- Baked or grilled fatty fish such as salmon, tuna and sardines.
- Vegetables and Olive oil.
In case, your cholesterol is high, there are some precautionary steps to take, which can help to decrease your Cholesterol. These are:
- Eating a healthy diet is a necessary step.
- Swap white rice with brown rice.
- Eat more fish, at least two servings in a week.
- Prefer eating Olive oil .
- A splash of lemon juice instead of high fat salad dressings will lower the amount of Cholesterol in our body.
- Bake meat and poultry are better than frying meat.
- Eat whole grain cereals instead of sugar -laden varieties. Topping them with Cinnamon instead of sugar will be more beneficial.
- Regular exercise play a great role to reduce Cholesterol in our body. Walking, swimming or riding a bike are great options.
- Smoker should talk to their Doctors and try to quit smoking. Smoking increase risk of high cholesterol, high blood pressure or heart disease.
- Reduce intake of refined carbohydrates, usually made with white flour and added sugar.
- Avocados, nuts, seeds and Olive oil will decrease our cholesterol in our body.
- Eat more plants like whole grains , fruits, vegetables to increase fiber in our foods.
- Increasing the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids in our foods help to protect our heart. Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish, flaxseeds, chia seeds and walnuts.
- If your diet and exercise does not help to control your cholesterol, then consult your Doctor. Doctor may advise to add some medications.
Warning : It is advised strongly to consult your Doctor before taking any medicine. DO NOT decide your self to take any medicine.
May Al-Mighty Allah save all of us from any serious disease.