Health Tip # 12.
Peaches are packed with Nutrients and Antioxidants.
It is the season of Peaches. There are two types of Peaches:
- Its inner colour is yellow.
- Its colour is white.
- Both have the same benefits to human body.
Peaches are rich in many vitamins, minerals. One medium sized peach ( 150 grams) will provide:
- Calories = 58
- Protein = 1 gram
- Fat = less than 1 gram
- Carbohydrates = 14 grams
- Vitamin C = 17 % of daily use
- Fiber = 2 grams
- Vitamin A = 10 % of daily use
- Potassium = 8 % of daily use
- Niacin = 6 % of daily use
- Vitamin E = 5 % of daily use
- Vitamin K = 5 % of daily use
- Copper = 5 % of daily use
- Manganese = 5 % of daily use.
- Peaches also provide smaller amount of Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron and some Vitamin B.
- Peaches have antioxidants which help our body against aging and disease.
- Peaches may aid digestion.
- It may improve heart health.
- It may protect our skin.
- It may protect certain types of cancer.
- It may reduce allergy symptoms.
- It reduce blood sugar level.
- It will boost immunity.
Fresh and canned peaches seem to have similar benefits , however fresh Peaches have higher level of benefits.
It is rainy season these days. A little ignorance can end with a great loss of health. Be careful in this season. For more details read our article ” health tips # 1 ”
Health Tip # 13.
Grapefruit has some effects on some medications.
Grapefruit is definitely a health beneficent fruit. It is a delicious citrus fruit. To find out information about Grapefruit, please read our article “ Health Tip # 11 ” .
Grapefruit has some effects on some medication and can alter their effects on our body. Grapefruit contain a chemical which increase the side effects of medications. Researchers recommend the following information for the public/consumers of grapefruit:
- one whole grapefruit or a one glass of grapefruit juice is more than enough to alter side effects of medicines.
- Grapefruit usually has ability to effect medications with in 1 to 3 days. If medicine is taken with in above period, chances of side effects changes are high.
- Grapefruit had a serious effect on some medications.
Here is a list of medication which are effected by grapefruit:
- Some cholesterol controlling medicine like Statin : — Grapefruit increases blood level of these Statin :
1 . Atorvastatin ( Lipitor).
2 . Lovastatin ( Mevacor).
3 . Simvastatin (Zocor)
Alternative: Pravastatin ( Pravachol ), Rosuvastatin ( Crestor ) and Fluvastatin ( Lescol) do not interact with grapefruit.
- Blood pressure medications: —- Most type of blood pressure control medicine are not effected by grapefruit except the following medicines:
1 – Felodipine.
2 – Nifedipine ( Procardia ).
3 – Losartan (Cozzar).
4 – Eplerenone (Inspra)
Alternative: Spironolactone (Aldactone).
- Anti-infection medications: —– Anti-infection medicines are found in different categories, and do not interact with grapefruit, except the following medicines :
1 _ Erythromycine>
2 -Rilpivirine and related HIV drugs.
3 – Primaquine and related antimalarial drugs.
4 – Albendazole.
- Taking in large quantity of above medicine may disrupt heart rhythm.
- Alternative :
1 – Clarithromycin.
2 – Doxycycline.
- Most antidepressant medicines and anti-anxiety drugs are safe and grapefruit does not alter their effects.
- Many mood medications do interact with grapefruit. These are :
1 – Quetiapine ( Seroquel ).
2 – Lurasidone ( Latuda ).
3 – Ziprasidone ( Geodon ).
4 – Diazepam ( Valium ).
5 – Buspirone ( Buspar ).
6 – Triazolam ( Halcion ).
7 – Midazolam ( Versed ).
- Blood thinner medications are used to treat or prevent blood cloths. Some of them are effected by grapefruit. These are:
1 – Apixaban ( Eliquis ).
2 – Colpidogrel ( Plavix ).
3 – Rivaroxaban ( Xarelto ).
4 – Ticagrelor ( Brilinta ).
- Some pain killer medicines are affected by grapefruit. These are :
1 – Fentanyl ( a narcotic pain reliever ).
2 – Oxycodone ( also a narcotic pain reliever).
3 – Colchicine ( used to treat gout).
- Alternative : Morphine and Dilaudid can be taken in narcotic pain.
- Some erectile dysfunction and prostate medications can be affected by grapefruit. These are:
1 – Sildenafil ( Viagra ).
2 – Tamsulosin ( Flomax ).
3 – Tadalafil ( Cialis ).
4 – Silodosin ( Rapaflo ).
- Alternative :—- Some other medications for enlarged prostate which include Finasteride and Dutasteride are safe from grapefruit.
Eating grapefruit or drinking grapefruit juice with above mentioned medication can lead to higher level of them in your blood and more side effects. Consult your doctor if you are combining above medications and grapefruit. Bear in mind that ” health is wealth “.