Health Tip # 9 – Fasting during Ramadan.
Table of content:
- Fasting during Ramadan.
- Diabetic people.
- Last words.
Fasting during Ramadan.
Fasting month Ramadan is approaching very fast. All Muslims are required to fast from early morning to sunset during the month of Ramadan, It is a compulsory duty for Muslims. All-Mighty Allah says ” Fasting during the month of Ramadan is just for me, and i will reward for it on Judgement Day “.
There are some rule set for fasting :
Timing : Fasting start from early morning when a white and black tread is recognized. Fasting usually starts from approximately 3.00 am these days (Local time vary). Since Islamic calendar is 10 days shorter than Gregorian calendar, timing are changed every year,, Nothing will be eaten or drunk till sunset.
Food : Meal before starting fasting is called “Sehri”. The last prophet of All-Mighty Allah emphasized to eat Sehri. Doctor advise not to eat a lot of food in the Sehri. Breaking fasting is called “Iftari”. It is better to Iftar with dates. Dates provide energy to our body immediately. Date milk shake is a better idea for Aftar. Eat a small quantity of mixed fruit. Then go for Maghrab prayers. You can eat your meal after prayers.
Children/Patients : Children below 8 years are exempted from fasting. For people who are ill and fasting an increase their illness;
- They can postpone the fasting till they recover from illness. Then they have to fast for missing fasting days.
- If some one is so old or very sick and fasting could be dangerous for his/her illness or life, he/she should give stuff/money to a poor Muslim . The stuff/money should be equal for normal Sahri and Ftari . It is called “Fidyah”.
Now a days Pak Rs.150/- a day is considered a moderate
amount for one day fasting. (Sahri and Iftar).
Diabetic People :
It is strongly advised to consult your Doctor if you can fast or not during the month of Ramadan. A Diabetic person can fast with some changes in intake medicines.
- If you are controlling your blood sugar with pills, take the
medicines immediately after Iftar.
- Reduce the quantity of medicine taking after Sehri.
- If you are taking \insulin injection, do the following :
i : Suppose you inject 24 units of Insulin in the morning, during fasting month, you inject the same quantity after Iftar.
ii : Units of Insulin, you usually inject in the evening (say 8 units), inject it after Sahri. It is better to reduce this quantity,( say 4 or 6 units ), to avoid any Hypoglycemia ( Hypo in short ). iii : Blood sugar less than 70 mg/dl is low blood sugar.
iv. : Blood sugar less than 54 mg/dl needs immediate action.
- If during fasting, your blood sugar is low, it is advised to break the fasting. Life is important. You can make up the missing fasting next month or when you are able to fast.
- It is better to inject Insulin after Iftar and take pills after Sehri.
Again I advise, consult your Doctor before starting fasting.
Now a days, Corona Virus is spread ed all over the World. Researchers say that Diabetic people are very easy target of Corona Virus. Diabetic people are usually weaker than non – diabetic people. It is suggested that Diabetic people should stay at home and should NOT go out of home. Our death time is fixed, but it is not a wise action to call the death earlier.
Last words :
- Fasting during the month of Ramadhan is compulsary for every Muslim.
- Children below 8 years are exempted from fasting.
- If fasting is dangerous for one’s life for some reasons, he/she can give stuff/amount to a poor Muslim as “Fidya” in lieu of fasting.
- Diabetic people should consult their Doctor before fasting.