Are you Diabetic ? Part – 2
List of contents:
- Types of Diabetes.
- How to control blood sugar
- Covid-19 and Diabetes.
- Food a Diabetic should not eat.
Types of Diabetes.
There are two types of Diabetes:
Type -1 and type-2.
Diabetes type – 1
There are chances that a new born baby’s pancreas does not produce insulin to control blood sugar , or a child has Diabetes. This type of Diabetes is called Diabetes type -1. The blood sugar of the child is controlled by only injecting external Insulin daily . He/she has to take Insulin injection daily for whole life, , no interval. Type-1 Diabetes can not be controlled by any medicine.
Type -2 Diabetes:
Our Pancreas produce Insulin automatically. What ever we eat, it is converted to glucose. When our blood sugar rise high, our healthy Pancreas start producing insulin . This produced insulin is very effective and it brings the high blood sugar level low in minutes. If due to some reasons, our pancreas produce none or less insulin, which is not enough to control the blood sugar level, such condition is called as Diabetes Type -2 .
How to control blood sugar.
There are some medicines which can help to keep the blood sugar in control. Such medicines actually force our pancreas to produce more insulin. Such medicine become ineffective after some time.
The effective way to control type -2 diabetes is to take insulin injection regularly. The insulin injections available in the market have the same ingredients /effects as the original insulin produced by our pancreas.
There are insulins with different effects. These days taking insulin daily is the best way to control blood sugar. I am taking insulin injection daily since April, 2004, and I am quite fit at the age of 86. I walk daily to keep myself fit.
If you are diabetic, do not worry. Consult your doctor and follow his/her advise. There are millions of diabetic people . You are not alone. If they are spending their lives happily, why you should not ?.
Covid-19 and Diabetes.
Covid-19 is spread all over the world rapidly and now every body , even children know about it. For more details read our article ” Fight Corona Virus“.
Since this topic is about Covid-19 and Diabetes, we will concentrate on the subject only.
According to researchers, diabetic people are easy victim of Covid-19. It is harder to treat Covid-19 in the presence of Diabetes complications. Diabetic peoples’ immune system is already weak to fight against virus. Diabetes related diseases like high blood pressure , kidneys problems and others make a complicated case . It is more dangerous if the virus has infected the environment of blood glucose.
To avoid getting infected by Covid-19, only precautionary steps can help. Diabetic people need double action on the recommendations issued widely for general public. These are:
- Wash your hand regularly with soap for at least 20 seconds
- Do not share food, glasses and towels etc.
- Avoid unnecessary travelling, large gathering and public transport.
- Better stay at home.
- Try to keep your glucose with in safe levels. No high or low blood sugar.
- If you feel some symptoms like fever, cough, and difficulty in breathing, consult a doctor immediately.
- Infections usually raise glucose level and you might need more fluid. Sufficient supply of water is a must.
- Eat food regularly on fixed times.
- Make sure to keep things with in your reach, such as some dates, chocolate, syrup and water to correct the situation if your sugar level drops down suddenly.
- Avoid overworking and have good night sleep.
Food a Diabetic should not eat:
Eating a balanced and varied food is very important to manage blood sugar level. Such food will also help to enhance our Immune system.
Foods , the Diabetics should avoid to eat :
- Processed meats.
- High Potassium fruits such as bananas, avocado, apricot.
- Dark colored sodas.
- Dried fruits. Such fruits are made by removing water from fruit through various process to make them rich in energy, sugar and minerals such as potassium.
- Most beans and lentils have high amount of phosphorus.
- Packed foods and fast foods are high in sodium and often high in refined carbohydrates .
- Fruit juices are sugar sweetened and can cause rapid spike in blood sugar.
- Spinach, beet greens and other leaf y green vegetables contain high amount of potassium.
- Snake foods such as chips, crackers are typically high in salt and refined carbohydrates which are not suitable for diabetics.
- Potato and sweet potatoes are high in potassium .
It is highly recommended to limit your intake of certain nutrients , carbohydrates, sodium, potassium and phosphorus.