Covid-19 Updates in Brief, Part # 9,
Part #9 :
Table of content:
- Updates published in Healthline,com
- Updates published in medicalnewstoday.com
Covid-19 Updates published in ” healthline.com”
You have read previously ” Covid-19 Updates in Brief, Part # 8” . This part # 9 covers a period from December, 01 to December 15, 2021. Enjoy reading it.
- The first domestic case of new Omicron variant infection was detected in Spain in a vaccinated person . It proves that the Omicron variant was already in the country . It was announced by the Regional Authorities in Madrid , reported by Guardian . It was published in ” healthline,com Covid-19 updates on December 02. 2021.
- The first case of new Omicron variant of coronavirus in the U.S. have detected in a person travelling from South Africa to San Francisco was tested positive on November 19, 2021. It was announced by the San Francisco Department of Public Health officials.
- Beside the above , more cases of the Omicron variant have been reported in the U.S. A woman in Colorado who have recently travelled to South Africa was tested positive to the new variant.
- From the appearance of Omicron, drug makers are trying to find a vaccine to combat Omicron variant. Preliminary studies show that 3 doses of Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine is a hope to neutralize Omicron.
- Because of Omicron ‘s highly mutated nature, the variant may affect the Covid-19 tests . The test results may show ” negative”. It was updated by Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The FDA identified Tide Laboratories’ DT PM Covid-19 RT -PCR Tests that is expected to fail due to Omicron.
- A new study shows that 35 % people who were infected Covid-19 experienced breathing difficulties after one year of the virus infection. Researchers said that this condition can be caused by heart problems and lung issues.
- It is common that people who had long Covid-19 infection ,could face cardia issues.
- It is possible that people who have recovered from corona virus infection, will develop a reinfection with the Omicron variant.
- Experts believe that 2 doses of Covid-19 vaccine can protect against Omicron variant.
- Mr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus. PhD, the Director General of the World Health Organization has confirmed in a recent press conference in Geneva, Switzerland that more data is needed to draw ” firmer conclusions ” about Omicron.
- South African scientists reported that early data sows that the Omicron variant has a substantial ability to escape from immunity from prior infection. It could be more than 2 weeks longer to know how much the Covid-19 vaccine is effective against Omicron variant.
- According to experts, the Omicron variant have symptoms similar to other coronavirus variants. Fever, cough, muscle aches and short breathing are among the symptoms.
- Some Omicron’s affected people did not report loss of smell and taste.
- Scientists say , as the Omicron spread, it is more important to get vaccinated against Covid-19 and then get booster shots.
- Experts expect that Covid-19 vaccine will provide some protection against the Omicron variant. Full vaccinated people will still have some protection.
- A report issued in ” Guardian ” shows that scientists have discovered a ” stealth ” version of the Omicron variant which can not be distinguished from others, using PCR tests.. The stealth Omicron has many mutations as standard Omicron has . But it lacks a certain genetic feature that allows the laboratories tests to identify the virus. The scientists added that it is too early to know weather the new form of Omicron has the same characteristics as Delta and other variants. The stealth version is genetically different in kind and it could act differently.
- Up till now , it is less known about Omicron variant. A big question is, will Covid-19 vaccine be effective against Omicron. Data gathered up till now shows that vaccine induced immunity vigorous than the infection acquired natural immunity in all corona virus
- The hybrid immunity in people who were previously infected Covid-19 , and were later vaccinated, may have higher antibodies against Omicron.
- Viruses that case pandemics often mutate and become less life threatening. Historically, most pandemics end with in 2 to 3 years. This is what happened to the Influenza plague after the 1918 flu pandemic . Many virologists are hoping so with corona virus too.
- A good news. Drug maker Pfizer official claim their booster shot is effective against Omicron variant. A booster shot of mixed vaccines might offer strong protection against Omicron. Pfizer hope to develop a vaccine specifically for Omicron, some time in March , 2022.
- The Oxford University researchers used blood samples from fully vaccinated people from the Com-COV study and live coronavirus isolate to find if the Omicron variant could infect the population, including already vaccinated.
- The drug maker Pfizer announced that their COVID-19 pill reduces risk of hospitalization and death up to 89 %. To obtain the full benefits of the pill, people should take the drug called ” Paxlovid ” within 3 days after appearing the symptoms.
Covid-19 Updates published in medicalnewstoday.com
- Vaccines play an effective roll to the spread of Covid-19 infection. It is noticed that the vaccines’ effectiveness reduces over time. Researchers found that the antibodies produced by the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine reduced by 57 % after 6 months.
- A new study investigates how SARS -C0V-2 behaves when two variants of the virus conflict human cells.
- The Researchers found that the Delta replicates four times faster than the Alpha variant, and nine times faster than the Beta variant .
- The Researchers also demonstrated that a recently discovered antiviral called ” Thapsigargin ” ( known as Deadly Carrot) successfully blocks the infection in cell culture.
- Practitioners of folk medicine are using the deadly carrot compound to treat rheumatic pain, lung diseases and infertility in females.
- A recent study , led by Kin-Chow, professor of Veterinary Molecular Medicine at the university, found that each variant was sensitive to the compound. A single dose of Deadly Carrot before infection from Alpha, Beta or Delta variant blocked all infections in human cells. It also showed a 95 % reduction in co-infection. It also inhibited the replication of the variants in cells.
- Antiviral work in different way, depending the specific drug. The most common ways are:
1. Blocking cell receptors so that viruses can not bind to or enter healthy cells.
2. Boosting the immune system and helping it to fight the virus.
3. Reducing the amount of active virus in the body.
- Researchers have developed a chewing gum from lettuce that is effective to neutralize SARS-CoV-2 in salvia. The levels of viral RNA in salvia can fall undetectable level.
source: Medical News Today