Health Tip # 18 – Taking Aspirin every day.
Aspirin is easily available medicine from any medical store without a doctor’s prescription. People usually do not consult a doctor before taking the Aspirin. They probably do not know that excess use of Aspirin may cause stomach ulcer. For more information about blood pressure, reads “ homeopathic Clinic , Blood Pressure A to Z, part 2
Table of contents:
- What is Aspirin?
- Heart attack and Aspirin.
- Recommended dosage during heart attack.
- Taking Aspirin every day.
- Recommended dosage for taking Aspirin every day.
- Side effects .
What is Aspirin ?
Aspirin, an acetylated salicylate (acetylsalicylic acid), is classified among the nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These agents reduce the signs and symptoms of inflammation and exhibit a broad range of pharmacologic activities, including analgesic, antipyretic, and antiplatelet properties. Aspirin is available in coated and non coated tablets. . Non coated Aspirin dissolves faster than coated Aspirin. Aspirin is used to treat pain, headaches, fever, cold and muscle pain. Aspirin is a blood thinner medicine and should not be taken without a doctor’s advise.
Heart attack and Aspirin.
As we grow older, our blood become thick due to many reasons. Drinking less water is a common cause. Excess value of LDL (bad cholesterol) makes the arteries narrow making difficult for blood to flow freely in the body. A thick blood’s platelets stick together and block the blood flow. In such condition the blood do not reach the heart and brain , and heart attack occurs. . At this stage, giving Aspirin may help a little. The best choice in such condition is to call emergency medical help.
Blood clots are a part of a healthy circulatory system. If some one is wounded, the clotting block the excess loss of blood. Clotting are dangerous when they block the flow of blood to important organs of the body. When platelets form a clot and block the flow of blood to heart , heart attack occurs.
It is proved that one tablet of Aspirin every day help prevent a heart attack, but it does not suggest that every one should take Aspirin every day. Taking Aspirin without consulting a medical doctor may lead to some unwanted health conditions.
Aspirin is a blood thinner medicine. Aspirin makes the blood thin making harder for platelets in the blood to form clot. Blood clots are a part of healthy circulatory system. If some one is wounded, the platelets make a clot to prevent excess blood loss. Clots become dangerous when they stop the blood flow to the heart, brain and other organs of the body.
When platelets form a cloth and blood does not reach to brain or heart , heart attack occurs . There are more chances of heart attack for the people who have certain health condition such as high cholesterol or high blood pressure. Such conditions have bad effects on arteries making them weak ,narrow and make it harder for blood to circulate freely. If some one has such risk factor ( blood clots ) , his/her doctor may prescribed a blood thinner to reduce risk of heart attack.
Here a question arises. Can a blood thinner medicine ( such as Aspirin ) be taken during heart attack ?. In such circumstances, first of all , call for emergency medical assistant immediately. Ask the doctor if you can take/give the Aspirin to the patient. If the doctor allow, or not, follow the doctor’s advise.
Taking Aspirin during hart attack , on the advise of a medical doctor, may help stop further damage . Aspirin is an effective blood thinner, a small dose would be enough to slow blood clot formation.
Recommended dosage during heart attack.
During a heart attack, it is recommended to take Aspirin 160 to 325 mg. For faster effect, crush or chew the tablet before swelling it to speed up their absorption. Uncoated Aspirin tablets will absorb faster than coated tablets.
Taking Aspirin every day.
- A 2019 meta-analysis trial with 164,225 participants found that those people who did not have any cardiovascular disease , taking Aspirin every day , did not show any improvement.
- The American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association issued recommendations in 2019 that only people with certain cardiovascular risk factor should take Aspirin every day to prevent heart attack.
- The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommended in 2016 that Aspirin is only beneficial for people between 50 to 69 years with increased risk for cardiovascular disease.
Recommended dosage for taking Aspirin every day.
- The recommended dose of Aspirin taken every day to prevent a heart attack is 75 to 325 mg.
- Daily low -dose Aspirin tablets should be 81 mg.
- It is strongly advised , that prior to taking Aspirin on daily basis , you MUST consult a medical doctor.
- NEVER take Aspirin if you are allergic to Aspirin.
Like all drugs, Aspirin has some side effects, if taken on daily basis for long time, like :
- Excessive bleeding , particularly in the stomach and brain.
- Kidney failure is also possible.
Daily Aspirin therapy is generally no longer recommended.