New Research # 11, Be aware of these medications.
Be aware of these medications is the topic of our today’s article. It is a common practice in our country to take some medications like Aspirin, Panadol and pain killers without the consultation of a qualified doctors. People usually go to a medical store and ask the sales man to give them medicine for fever, cold, cough and headache . This is totally wrong practice. We should consult a qualified doctor for our even mild health conditions. This article ” Be aware of these medications” will point out some medications which can increase the risk of depression.
- Know the side effects of your medication.
- Common medications can cause depression.
- Some other medications.
- Signs of depression.
- The last words
Know the side effects of your medication.
Every allopathic medicine has its side effects. These side effects are being mentioned in a separate sheet inserted in packing of the medicine. Such specifications are written in different languages. Such language has some medical terms that a common person do not understand. It is the doctor’s responsibility to inform the patient clearly about medicine’s side effects. The best way to know the side effects of a medicine is to write medicine formula , ( written beneath the trade name of medicine) and search it in the google . You can search it on your mobile phone too. Once you experience the signs of depression, consult immediately to your doctor. If a patient is taking more than two medications, the risk of depression becomes double.
Common medications can cause depression.
It is the best way to talk with your doctor about the side effects of a certain medicine you are going to take. Below are some common medications which are available over the counter for depression.
SSRIs and SNRIs
SSRIs (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) are a widely used type of antidepressant medication.
They’re mainly prescribed to treat depression, particularly persistent or severe cases, and are often used in combination with a talking therapy such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).
SSRIs are usually the first choice medication for depression because they generally have fewer side effects than most other types of antidepressant.
Some other medications.
- Beta-blockers : Atenolol, Carvedilol, Metoprolol.
- Benzodiazepines : Alprazolam, Diazepam, Clonazepam.
- Anticonvulsants: Lamotrigine, Phenytoin.
- Anticholinergic drugs : Benztropine, Dicyclomine, Scopolamine .
- Parkinson’s disease drug: Sine met ( carbidopa/levodopa ).
- Hormone-altering drugs: Hormonal contraceptives.
- Proton pump inhibitors & H2 blockers: Pantoprazole (PPI), Famotidine ( H2 blocker).
- Statin & other cholesterol-lowering drugs: Atorvastatin, Simvastatin.
- some pain killer drugs such as Hydrocodone , Tramadol & Benzodiazepines ( Xanax, Valium ) have side effects of depression.
Signs of depression:
There are no clear and fixed signs of depression caused by medications. Symptoms are changed as mood change due to life stress and hormonal fluctuations. Any how, some potential signs of depression caused by medications are:
- Change in sleep, energy level and mood.
- Feelings of sadness, hopelessness or a loss of interest or pleasure in doing things.
- Thoughts or attempts at self-harm.
Warning : if suicidal ideas turn into thoughts of a plan, call immediately 1122 (in Pakistan only). Explain your symptoms and feelings. If it happens due to a new medication, let the authorities know about it.
When starting a new medications, it is advised to keep a diary and write down any change in mood . Any new symptom or feelings must be noted in the diary. Writing down such information like what and when feelings or symptoms appear, what they are, when they started and make then worse. These informations will help your doctor to find out if a specific medication is causing depression as its side effects. Your doctor will decide the time and quantity of dose to take. Follow your doctor’s instructions.
Last words. I always pray to All-Mighty Allah to bless every body with good health and success in their lives.