New Research # 12
Eating French fries.
Eating French fries is a popular trend these day. A feast is incomplete if French fries are not presented in the meal. New researches indicate that consuming large quantity of fried foods, processed foods, sugary products and beer has a link to highest risk of depression and anxiety. Pl. read our article “” Health Tip # 10, Depression ” for more details.: French fries are usually made from potatoes . The frying process could change the nutrient composition of foods . Beside that it could produce harmful chemicals. During frying process potatoes generate Acrylamide (Acrylamide is found mainly in foods made from plants, such as potato products, grain products, or coffee. Acrylamide does not form, or forms at lower levels, in dairy, meat, and fish products. Generally, acrylamide is more likely to accumulate when cooking is done for longer periods or at higher temperatures) . The Acrylamide is a main cause of obesity, metabolic syndrome ( Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of conditions that occur together, increasing your risk of heart disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes ). and neurological disorders ( These disorders include epilepsy, Alzheimer disease and other dementias, cerebrovascular diseases including stroke, migraine and other headache disorders, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, neuroinfectious, brain tumors, traumatic disorders of the nervous system due to head trauma, and neurological disorders ). The researchers have found a link of depression and anxiety in consuming French fries made from potatoes.
- Name of French fries.
- How prepared.
- Effects of French fries.
Name of French fries:
It’s said that this dish was discovered by American soldiers in Belgium during World War I and, since the dominant language of southern Belgium is French, they dubbed the tasty potatoes “French” fries “. This name is now well known all over the world for fried potatoes. French fries are easy to fry . Every country in our world add some sauces to make it more delicious . Some people will add chili sauce , tomato catchup.
To prepare French fries, no special technique is required. To prepare French fries, you need the following :
- A potato cutter. Potatoes can be cut with hands too. It will take more time. Some people add a small quantity of wheat flour to give a thin layer of wheat flour around the cut potatoes.
- Some cooking oil.
- A frying pan. A bigger pot is needed if a large quantity is required.
- A burner or stove to fry potato.
Cut the potatoes with potato cutter or with hands in square shape , around 6 to 7 mm thick , 5 to 7 cm long. Pour some cooking oil in the pot and put it on burner’s fire. When cooking oil starts boiling, the cut potatoes are thrown in boiling cooking oil. When potatoes colour changed into brown, take the fries out of the cooking oil. The French fries are ready to serve.
Effects of French fries:
Researchers conducted a study involving 140,728 people in UK to find out if consumption of fried foods have a link to depression and anxiety. The researchers concluded the following after a period of 11.3 years.
- 8,294 cases of anxiety were reported.
- 12, 735 cases of depression were reported.
- People eating more than one serving of fried food in a day had 12 % higher risk of anxiety and 7 % higher risk of depression as compared to non -consumers.
- Male, younger and active smokers are frequent fried food consumers.
- Acrylamide generated by potatoes during frying process, reduce lipid metabolism , induced neuroinflammation ( Neuroinflammation is defined as an inflammatory response within the brain or spinal cord) .
- Acrylamide is a main source of obesity.
Keeping in view the above findings, it does not mean that one should not eat French fries at all. You can eat French fries occasionally but not in huge quantity. A small cup of French fries is enough to eat. While frying French fries, be sure that :
- French fries are not fried at high temperature.
- French fries are not fried for a longer period of time. In this way the Acrylamide generation will be less.
source : medicalnewstoday.com
Bear in mind that health is wealth and not the taste. Do eat French fries but in small quantity.