Health Tip # 22- Aspirin and Brain bleeding.
” Health Tip # 22 – Aspirin and Brain bleeding ” is an important article , which explain the danger of daily use of low dosage Aspirin to keep the blood thin. Heart specialists prescribe their heart patient to take low dose Aspirin every day to maintain their blood flow smoothly. The Aspirin is a blood thinner and help the human blood flow smoothly without clotting. According to the new study , taking low dose Aspirin every day increases the risk of brain bleeding in older adults. And it could lead to hemorrhagic stroke. The study also indicate that 29 million U.S. American take the Aspirin every day even though they do not have any heart disease. ( May be they take the Aspirin for change of taste). The study also found that low dose Aspirin did NOT significantly decrease the risk of Ischemic stroke. (An ischemic stroke occurs when a blood clot, known as a thrombus, blocks or plugs an artery leading to the brain. A blood clot often forms in arteries damaged by a buildup of plaques, known as atherosclerosis. It can occur in the carotid artery of the neck as well as other arteries). You would like to read our previous article “ Health Tip # 18, Taking Aspirin every day ” for more informations.
- Study published July 26, in JAMA Network :
- Benefit and risk of low dose Aspirin.
A study published in JAMA Network:
- A study published in JAMA Network on July 26 claims that older adults with no previous stroke history have more risk than benefit , if they take Aspirin every day.
- Daily low dose of Aspirin is a common and effective process to prevent a heart attack in people who had previously a heart attack history .
- The study suggested that ” we are not really getting the benefit of reducing potential stroke and cardiovascular disease with low dose Aspirin . And certainly, in older patients, there is emerging data that (people taking daily low dose Aspirin) are more prone to bleeding”.
benefit and risk of low dose Aspirin:
- Ischemic strokes are very common type of strokes. Such strokes happens when the blood flow to brain is blocked. Such blockage could by a blood clot.
- Blood thinning quality of Aspirin is the most cause of brain bleeding. It is also a cause of bleeding in gastrointestinal tract or a stomach ulcer.
- Older adults have the higher risk of brain bleeding, head trauma and bleeding in the skull.
The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF or Task Force) works to improve the health of people nationwide by making evidence-based recommendations on effective ways to prevent disease & prolong life. The USPSTF has revised its recommendations in April 2022 for the people can take low dose of Aspirin every day to prevent heart attack and stroke. These recommendations are :
- The people 60 years or above should not start taking low dose Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.
- People 40 to 59 years having a 10 % or greater risk of stroke or heart attack in next 10 years, can decide individually if they can start taking low dose Aspirin.
- A recent paper from ASPREE trial published in August in ” Annals of Internal Medicine found that taking low dose Aspirin every day increase the risk of anemia in older adults. ( The Aspirin in Reducing Events in the Elderly (ASPREE) trial was a primary prevention trial that was established to investigate whether the daily use of 100 mg of enteric-coated aspirin would prolong the healthy life span of older adults).
The last words:
Some heart specialists suggest to take low dose Aspirin every day to prevent heart attack. Some doctors are not in favor of taking low dose aspirin every day. A common heart patient is confused and can not decide if he/she should start taking low dose Aspirin every day. Well, benefits and risks are there and every body has the rights to do what he/she feel good for him/her.