Diabetes-Skin problems is the topic of our today’s article. You must have noticed that our most articles are Diabetes related. Actually i am a patient of Diabetes type 2 since 31 years. I like to share with our readers how i managed to live with Diabetes. In the beginning, I kept my Diabetes under control with different medicines for 10 years . No doubt I was able to keep my blood sugar with in specified levels. But i could not maintain my physical strength. I lost my body weight . Then my doctor advised me to use insulin. I am taking insulin injection twice a day since April 2004. Thanks to All-Mighty Allah, I gained my lost body weight. I walk daily in the morning for at least one hour. I am continuing this practice of walking regularly since 1998. I suggest you please read our article “ Health Tip # 19, Keep walking, stay healthy “. Whenever i find any diabetes related new research , i try to share it with the viewers of sipraworld4all.com in my next article. That’s why you will find most of my articles are related to Diabetes. Please read my article ” Are you Diabetic ?-Part-1 ” .
Uncontrolled high blood sugar has many effects on human body. Diabetes skin problems like cracked skin, ulcers and poor wound healing are early signs of type 2 diabetes. Today we will talk about all diabetes skin problems.
- Cause of diabetes skin problems.
- How one get diabetes type 2
- Foot numbness.
- Personal experience,
- A sudden pain in the body.
- Another pain.
- A ” Hit & go pain”.
- Watch for.
- Bacterial infections.
- Fungal infections.
- Diabetic dermopathy.
- Diabetes type- 1 disease.
- NLD treatment.
- Digital sclerosis.
- Treatment option.
- Acanthosis Nigricans (AN).
- Diabetic blisters.
Cause of diabetes Skin problems.
A healthy person without diabetes usually has no visible diabetes skin problems . Any skin problem including cracked skin, ulcers, foot numbness, poor healing wounds especially on feet are signs of diabetes type 2.
- Untreated Diabetes type 2 for a long period of time damage our blood vessels and nerves . In the result, blood circulation /flow to our skin is decreased, which lead to changes in collagen ( Collagen accounts for 30% of our body’s protein. It provides structure, support or strength to our skin, muscles, bones and connective tissues. Scientific research is lacking for most collagen supplements, but a well-balanced diet gives your body the raw ingredients it needs to help it make collagen naturally ). Such changes affect our skin structure, appearance and ability to heal .
- Diabetes type 2 affects on white blood cells making them less able to defend debates skin problems.
- Diabetes type 2 damage our skin cells .These skin cells become weak and the patient ‘s ability to sweat become decreased. Beside that increase our sensitivity to temperature and pressure.
- Diabetes damage our nerves known as Diabetic neuropathy ( Diabetic neuropathy is nerve damage that is caused by diabetes. Over time, high blood glucose levels, also called blood sugar, and high levels of fats, such as triglycerides, in the blood from diabetes can damage your nerves. Symptoms depend on which type of diabetic neuropathy you have ) can reduce sensation. The patient feel harder to notice injuries or wounds.
How one get diabetes type 2 :.
Human body is a perfect combination of different parts. Every part has its own function. Among all parts of human body, there is a tiny part called “Pancreas” situated beneath our stomach. When a person eats his/her meal, it is converted into glucose after digestion. This glucose travel with blood. When it reaches in Pancreas, the Pancreas’ cell detect glucose presence . The pancreas cell start releasing a Harmon called ” Insulin”. Insulin + glucose travel in blood vessels with blood . Human body cells pick insulin + glucose and burn them to produce strength to human body. When , by any reason, body cells do not response to insulin, insulin + glucose remain unburned and remain in blood. This unused stuff accumulate in the blood . First of all it blocks the blood circulation in very very small blood vessels in our feet. Our feet become numbs. We feel as if our feet are ” burning”. If we get any cut or wound in our feet, we do not feel pain. During winter , our feet become ice cold. This is a strong message that we have diabetes.
Foot numbness is the sign of diabetes. When unburned insulin + glucose block very very small blood vessels in our feet, the blood do not circulate in blocked blood vessels, our feet become numbs. It can not be cured. Any wound or cut in our feet do not heal up.
Like other diabetic persons, i had wounds on my 5th small finger of feet for many years. I used to got it bandaged by doctor every day. Son of my uncle is a Homeopathic doctor. One day I asked him if there is any Homeo medicine for diabetes foot wound. His reply surprised me. He suggested to wash the wound and let them dry .Wet a cotton bandage with pure raw honey and wrap that bandage around wounds. Change the bandage every day for 3 days. The honey must be pure and raw. Not bought from any shop or store. Honey must be taken direct from a tree……. I did the above bandages for 3 days. Surprise. wounds were gone and now it is 4th year i did not get any foot wound.
A sudden pain in the body.
Another problem with diabetic feet is burning sensation of feet especially during night. An unexplained pain and un-easiness do not let us sleep during night. Allopathic doctors prescribe pain killer or sleeping pills for it. All pain killers are harmful if used for a longer period of time.. Some pain killers damage human kidney. I do not take any pain killer to reduce some diabetic skin problem. I prefer a cream or lotion. A cream is available in drug stores under the name ” Diabetic foot cream”. I apply it to my feet a small amount of said cream before sleep. It reduces or minimize some foot problems, and i sleep well for whole night. Next night i apply the cream again. We have to compromise with diabetic foot problems.
Another diabetes skin problem is a sudden pain as if a steel needle is inserted in our body. We feel this pain for a second or two. I drink 3 drops of a Homeo medicine ” Apis Malifica 200 ” in half glass of clean water once a day, 3 times in a week. Taking this medicine for two week is enough for 2 months. When you feel again this type of pain, take the medicine for two weeks.
A ‘ Hit & go ” pain.
This sudden pain can occurs any where in our body. It is really very painful. We feel as we have an electric shock. We feel pain for seconds and then pain is go, went and gone. I drink a dose of Homeo medicine ” Belladona 200″ , daily for one week and i am safe from its attack for one month, some time 2 months. Bear in mind that once we have diabetes, it is with us for our whole life. And diabetes skin problems will remain with us. These problems will come and go, come again. So we need to drink or take medicines so often.
According to a 2016 Literature review , 97 % of diabetic people experience diabetes skin problems. If you have diabetes type-2 , it is necessary for you to watch out for the following:
- Any change in your skin.
- Check injuries or irritation to the skin surrounding insulin injection sites.
- Any cut or cuts and slow heal wounds . Such wounds are some time an entry way to further infections.
Experts think that diabetes could make our immune system less effective to fight infections.
In diabetic people , bacterial, fungal and other pathogens ( A pathogen is defined as an organism causing disease to its host, with the severity of the disease symptoms referred to as virulence ) develop more easily and are harder to remove.
Bacteria is cause of skin infections, such as:
- Styes, usually appear on eyelids, and eyelid are swollen.
- Carbuncles, deep infections of the skin and tissue below it.
- Folliculitis — it is an infection of the hair follicles.
- Infection around nails.
Symptoms of Bacterial infection.
Skin areas affected by Bacterial infection have the following signs:
- Redness or darkening of skin on darker skin tones.
Symptoms may appear more sever for diabetic people with high blood sugar levels.
Fungal infections are the result of spread and growth of fungus or yeast. Fungal infections can affect any one. Diabetic persons with high blood sugar levels are the favorite of such infections. An common cause of these infections is Candida Albicans ( Candidiasis is a fungal infection caused by a yeast (a type of fungus) called Candida. Some species of Candida can cause infection in people; the most common is Candida albicans. Candida normally lives on skin and inside the body, such as the mouth, throat, gut, and vagina, without causing problems ) . If you find the following conditions , it is fungal infection:
- Blistering or dry scales.
- large red, itchy swollen spots on skin.
- A white discharge that have a similar appearance to or qualities in common with cottage cheese.
Yeast fungus grow or develop well or vigorously in the following areas:
- Under the breasts.
- In the warm folds of the skin.
- In the armpits.
- in the groin.
- In the corners of the mouth.
- Under the foreskin of the penis.
Beside above, common skin irritation like athlete’s foot, jock itch, and ringworm are fungal infections. They will itch, spread and worsen if not treated with prescription medication.
This condition is also known as shin spots, and it’s harmless. The spots look like red or brown round patches or lines in the skin and are common in people with diabetes. They appear on the front of your legs (your shins) and are often confused with age spots. The spots don’t hurt, itch, or open up . The spots may be oval or circular. Studies suggest that up to 55 % diabetic people have diabetic dermopathy . ( So no need to be afraid of it. You are not alone in this field ). These spots can appear if the small blood vessels that supply nutrition and oxygen to the tissues are damaged . Although it is not harmful but can be consider the symptom of some more serious complications such as Retinopathy ( Retinopathy is the leading cause of preventable blindness. It is caused by damage to the blood vessels of the light-sensitive tissue at the back of the eye (retina). Symptoms of retinopathy: ::: Blurred vision. A sudden shower of black “floaters” (black or grey specks or strings) in your vision ). Neuropathy ( Neuropathy is when nerve damage leads to pain, weakness, numbness or tingling in one or more parts of your body. The nerve damage may be because of disease, infection, injury, medicines, long-term alcohol abuse or another reason. Sometimes no cause is found ) or kidney disease.
In case you notice above symptoms, it is advised to consult your doctor immediately.
Diabetes type – 1 skin disease.
Necrobiosis Lipoidica Diabeticorum ( NLD )
NLD is a very rare diabetes skin problem and usually appear in the patients of diabetes type-1. NLD usually appear in light brown oval or circular patches. Their lesions ( a region in an organ or tissue which has suffered damage through injury or disease, such as a wound, ulcers, abscess or tumors ) are large , deeper and less than in diabetic dermopathy. These patches :
- First appear as firm, reddish/brown, a small pimple or swelling on the skin , often forming part of a rash in area of 1 to 3 millimeters .
- As the spots expand, they become yellow and shiny,
- They can affect both sides of the body.
- As time past, they develop thinner, weaker with waxy skin in the center. They may look as a shiny scar with a violet border.
- Some time may be itchy.
- These patches usually appear on the lower legs . Some time appear on the arms, face or scalp.
It is unknown precisely what are the cause of NLD. It is thought that their occurrence may result from a breakdown in collagen.
Uptill now, there is no specific treatment of NLD. It is noticed that up to 17 % of lesions disappear without intervention, if there is no ulceration. In some cases, compression therapy may be helpful.
Diabetes skin problems of this type affects around 1 in 3 people with diabetes type-1. This type of diabetes skin problem affects on hands, fingers and toes. These body parts become thick, tight, waxy and potentially stiff.
Treatment options :
- High blood sugar is the main cause of developing digital sclerosis. Keeping blood sugar in control with in specified levels is the basic condition to get rid of digital sclerosis.
- Applying lotions or moisturizers is also a part of treatment.
Acanthosis Nigricans ( AN ).
In diabetes skin problems ,Acanthosis Nigricans ( AN ) appears when skin becomes hyperpigmented in skin folds. The patches could be:
- Darker and thicker than the surrounding skin.
- Velvety in texture.
- Having ill-defined borders.
Usually they appear in the following skin area:
If you notice the appearance of AN , you should know that you have insulin resistance. Their appearance is also an early symptom of diabetes. Usually it affects people with obesity. It you lose your weight, they will go away without any further treatment.
Very rarely diabetic people develop a diabetes skin problem known as Bullosis Diabeticorum . Diabetic bullae, also known as bullosis diabeticorum, ( Bullosis Diabeticorum is a spontaneous, distinct, non-inflammatory, blistering condition of the skin predominantly seen in patients with diabetes mellitus with a distadistribution. The condition was first reported in 1930 by Kramer ). Such blisters look like burns. They mostly appear on the :
- Hands and feet.
- Back of the fingers and toes.
- In some cases legs and forearms.
Such blisters usually heal in 3 to 4 weeks. They do not leave scars. Managing blood sugar levels as recommended by a doctor will definitely help to reduce the risk of such diabetes skin problems.
Itching is another diabetes skin problem. It is mostly due to an infection and dry skin. Diabetic people’s lower part of legs are particularly more affected. If you have this diabetes skin problem, DO NOT scratch the affected parts. Scratching on affected part of skin will give an easy way to more infections.
It is not difficult to remain safe from mostly diabetes skin problems , if we make a habit to adapt some routine regularly. Such as :
- Manage your blood glucose levels as recommended by your doctor. It will reduce the risk of diabetes skin problems. .
- Make it your habit to exercise daily . Your doctor can advise you which exercise , how many hours in a day you should exercise.
- Avoid eating /drinking sugary items , even your tea.
- If you smoke, try to quit smoking.
- Consuming alcohol brings more diabetes skin problem.
- Obesity is the mother of diabetes skin problems. Try to reduce your weight.
- If your doctor prescribe some medicine for your diabetes, check their side effect before taking them. Some medicines have very bad effects on other parts of our body. Ask your doctor to include an other medicine to neutralize the bad side effect of the medicine.
- Always consult a qualified doctor , good if the doctor has specialized in diabetes skin problems.
- Try not to get hypoglycemia . Keep something sweet in reach of your hands. If you get cold sweat suddenly, it mean your blood sugar has dropped at very low level. Drink a sweet drink immediately. Sweetened milk is preferable.
- Bear in mind that antibiotic medicines tend to reduce blood glucose . If you take take any antibiotic medicine, your blood sugar will be reduced . Be careful about it.
I always pray to All-Mighty Allah to keep every body in the world, in good health, happy and successful.