Health Tip # 19, Keep walking, stay healthy.
keep walking, stay healthy is a golden rule for every one. It is medically proved that daily walk reduces the risk of Cardiovascular diseases. Walking also help to control blood sugar. As we grow older, different types of health conditions attack on our body ,like diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney problems, obesity, joints pain, sleeplessness and so on. Many of them can be controlled with medications and daily walk. Daily walk keep us healthy and active. I am walking daily in the morning since last 23 years, and i look 10 years younger than my original age. You will be surprised to know that i have diabetes type 2 since last 29 years, high blood pressure ( a gift of diabetes) since last 25 years, kidney problems since last 2 years, but still i look healthy. This all is the fruit of my daily walk. Now daily walk has become my second nature. In this article we will try to cover every thing about daily walk.
Table of contents:
- Benefits of daily walk.
- Walking technique.
- When to walk.
- Forms of walk.
- 500 steps more.
Benefits of daily walk.
A daily walk routine has many benefits including :
- Walking prevent different health conditions including heart disease , stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes type 2 and cancer.
- Walking help to maintain healthy weight and lose body fat.
- It strengthen our bones and muscles.
- Walking improve cardiovascular fitness.
- It increase energy level.
- It improve muscle endurance.
- It improve our mood , cognition, memory and sleep.
- Walking strengthen immune system.
- It improve our balance and coordination.
- It reduce tension and stress.
We can get greater benefits by walking faster, farther and more frequently .
To achieve the most benefits of walking , follow these rules while walking:
- Hold your head high.
- Look forward and not at the ground.
- Your shoulders must move naturally.
- .Your chin should be parallel to the ground.
- Keep your back straight.
- Your arms should swing freely with a slight bend in your elbows.
- Your stomach muscle must be gently tightened.
- Walk smoothly .Roll your foot from heel to toe. A pair of shoes with firm heel and thick flexible soles to cushion your feet and absorb shock is an ideal shoe for walking.
- Wear loose fitting, comfortable clothes. While walking in dark, wear bright colour or reflective tape for visibility. Wear a hat, sunglasses when walking out during the day.
- In the beginning, walk slowly for 5 to 10 minutes to warm up yourself.
- At the end of your walk, walk slowly for 5 to 10 minutes to cool down your muscles.
- After you cool down, gently stretch your muscles.
- While walking outdoor, walk on several different route for verity.
When to walk:
- A healthy person without any health condition should walk in the early morning. A walk before sunset has greater benefits than early morning walk.
- Walking twice a day is a good source to have more benefits .
- A diabetic person is advised to walk after his/her break fast and after afternoon tea. A diabetic person should never go for a walk before break fast . In such cases there are chances of having Hypoglycemia *(Hypo in short) while walking. Hypo need immediate attention. A sudden weakness, cold sweat and blurred vision are the symptoms of Hypo. The diabetic people must keep some thing sweet like chocolate with them every time while walking. In case of Hypo, drinking a sweet syrup with sweet biscuit will provide a temporary relief. Diabetic people injecting Insulin should take special care of them, specially while walking before sun set. Diabetic people controlling their blood sugar by injecting Insulin may get Hypo suddenly. This is the time when their stomach is almost empty . If you feel hungry do not ignore it. Eat some thing what ever is available.at that time. A glass of sweet juice will provide a relief with in 5 to 10 minutes. You must eat some thing immediately.
Forms of walk.
I asked one of my friends ” Do you know , how many forms of walk are “. He laughed and said ” Walk is just walk. And it is just walk “. You might be agree with that. Let me explain it. The walking specialists have divided the walking in two forms, which are :
Number 1 = Simple walking.
While walking, if you can talk easily with your friends, is known as ” Simple walk”. You will not get tired and will not perspired. This form of walking suits the older people who can not afford vigorous activities.
Number 2 = Brisk walking.
The Brisk walking is defined as ” Moderate intensity aerobic activity as any thing that makes a person sweat and raises their heart rate to the extent that they can talk but not sing ” In simple words, a person to be brisk walking , is supposed to move at a maximum speed of 4.5 miles per hour. The person should aim to do a brisk walk every day for at least 1/2 hour. A 2017 report defined Brisk Walking at the speed of at least 3 miles per hour.
Calories burned by Brisk Walking:
How much calories a brisk walk will burn , depend upon individual weight and other factors. A person weighing 154 pounds , will burn the following number of calories per hour for each activity:
Activity Calories burn per hour
- Walking , 3.5 mph 280
- Walking, 4.5 mph 460
- Aerobics 480
- Running/jogging 590
- Cycling, more than 10mph 590
- Weight lifting (Light) 220
- Swimming ( slow) 510
500 steps more.
A research was presented at the American Heart Association’s Epidemiology and Prevention Lifestyle and Cardiometabolic Health Scientific session 2023. The research found that :
- People aged 70 and older, reduced 14 % the risk of cardiovascular disease by adding additional 500 steps in their daily brisk walk .
- The health benefits from walking start at about 3,000 steps daily.
- If you walked 500 steps, it is about 1/4th of a mile.
- An Activity Tracker is helpful to calculate steps and distance. Many recently launched smart mobile phone have the features to count steps and distance.
source : medicalnewstoday.com
In our article ” Homeopathic Clinic, Patient # 234” we discussed an Homeo medicine which improve the overall body health. The article is worth reading.
May All-Mighty Allah bless every body with good health.