New research # 9 – Turmeric and Cholesterol.
The Turmeric or golden spice that we use in curry powders , is ground roots of the tall Turmeric plant , grown in Asia and Central America. The bright yellow colour of Turmeric is also used as dye in India. The traditional Indian system of treatment called ” Ayurvedic ” recommends Turmeric for a verity of health conditions, including chronic pain and inflammation. The Turmeric is also used to lower Low Density Lipoprotein ( LDL). If you like to know more about LDL , please read ” Homeopathic Clinic, Blood Pressure, A to Z, part-1“.
- What is Turmeric.
- Nutrition of Turmeric.
- Health Benefits.
- Effects on Cholesterol.
- Side effects.
- How to take it.
New research # 9 – Turmeric and Cholesterol.
What is Turmeric ?.
Turmeric is an ingredient of many curry powders. It is used as medicine in China and India to treat various health conditions. Indian use it to treat skin problems, upper respiratory tract, joints and digestion system.
Turmeric also known as golden spice, is taken from the roots of the Curcuma Longa plant. This plant belong to ginger family. Turmeric has peppery flavor , distinctive aromatic fragrance and golden yellow colour. Its active ingredient is Curcumin . More research is needed on c;urcumin.
Nutrition of Turmeric:
The United States Department of Agriculture, National Nutrient Database issue the following nutritional content of Turmeric powder.
1 tablespoon of Turmeric powder contain:
- Calories 29
- Protein 0.91 grams
- Fat 0, 31 grams
- Fiber 2.1 grams
- Sugar 0.3 grams
- Carbohydrates 6.31 grams.
1 tablespoon of Turmeric provides:
- Manganese 26 % of daily need
- Iron 16 % of daily need
- Vitamin C 3 % of daily need
- Potassium 5 % of daily need.
Turmeric has many positive effects on human body. Turmeric is being used in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine since long time to treat inflammatory conditions, wounds, digestive ailments, skin diseases and liver conditions. A brief introduction is as under:
- The Arthritis Foundation conducted several studies and they found that Turmeric reduces the inflammation. The researchers believe that this ability of anti-inflammation of Turmeric could reduce worsening the people with arthritis feel in their joints. The foundation advise to take 400 to 600 mg Turmeric, 3 times a day to reduce inflammation.
- Researchers believe that turmeric has Ant -oxidative effects.
- It is believed that Curcumin might be helpful to prevent neurodegenerative diseases and neural ( related to a nerve or nervous system ) inflammation. It blocks inflammatory cytokines ( Small proteins that are crucial in controlling the growth and activity of other immune system cells and blood cells ) and prostaglandins which cause the following:
- Alzheimer’s disease.
- Parkinson’s disease.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Huntington’s disease.
- It is believed that Turmeric is pain reliever.
- The Turmeric has good reports to relieve arthritis pain.
- The daily dose recommended vary . Those who participated in the study took 800 mg Turmeric in capsules every day.
Turmeric improves liver function.
- Turmeric has antioxidant ability. This ability has drawn the attention of researchers .
- The Turmeric’s antioxidant effects are very powerful. It can stop our liver from being damaged by toxins. This is a great news for people who take strong drugs to control their diabetes, or other medicines that could hurt their liver, if taken for long time.
Turmeric reduces cancer risk:
- Researchers are investigating Curcumin . They believe , and some reports show that Curcumin has ability to treat cancer. It has protective effects against pancreatic cancer, multiple myeloma and prostate cancer.
- The Turmeric has a distinguish fragrance which explain its present in curry powders. Turmeric play a great role in digesting foods. Because of Turmeric’s antioxidant and anti – inflammatory properties, Turmeric contribute a big role in healthy digestion. Since long time ago, Turmeric is being used in Ayurvedic medicines ( Indian medicine system) and China to treat digestive conditions). Researchers are examining its effects on irritable bowel syndrome.
Anti diabetes :
- A 2021 systematic review of 16 studies mentioned Curcumin effects on Diabetes mellites . The studies found that Curcumin play important role in reducing fasting blood glucose, blood sugar and body mass index.
Researchers came to know in 2016 and 2021 studies that Turmeric can effectively treat chronic skin conditions including vitiligo, psoriasis and Atopic Dermatitis ( Atopic Dermatitis often referred to as “Eczema ” is a chronic disease causes inflammation, irritation and redness of the skin ).
Effects on Cholesterol:
Cholesterol is a waxy product produced by our liver. There are two types of cholesterol.
- High – density lipoprotein (HDL) or ” good ” cholesterol help protect our heart.
- Low – density Lipoprotein ( LDL ) or ” Bad ” cholesterol which build up in the arteries causing them to become narrow.
If a person’s LDL and Triglycerides ( A harmful type of fat ) levels are high , he/she is at a great risk of hart related conditions such as stroke, heart attack and coronary disease.
According to 2017 meta analysis ‘s findings, Turmeric and Curcumin reduce significantly the serum LDL and Triglycerides as compared to the present control method.
A 2021 study found that taking curcumin along with other food like vegetables , fruits, nuts, seeds, whole grains, and legumes ( Bright yellow chemical produced by the plant of curcumin longa) , reduced one type of lipid in 2/3rd participants of the study. More research is needed in this matter. The researchers noted that :
- Turmeric will help to protect people at risk of cardiovascular diseases as the Turmeric reduce the LDL (bad cholesterol ) level in human body.
- The people will feel easy to take Curcumin as compared to conventional drug for heart condition.
- Over all effects of Turmeric on human health are seems to be good, further research is needed.
Turmeric usually do not have serious side effects if daily use do not exceed from 8 mg. However, some people may experience the following side effects :
- Digestive disorders
- Skin allergies.
Pregnant and breast feeding people should take Turmeric in small doses, better in coking . The experts DO NOT recommend high doses, specially supplements.
CURCUMIN MAY CAUSE GALLBLADER CONTRACTIONS AND GALLSTONE DEVELOPMENT . PEOPLE WITH GALLSTONES OR BILE DUCT OBSTRUCTION SHOULD AVOID TO US IT.
Another effect of Turmeric is blood thinning, which leads to easier bleeding. The reason not known yet. People taking blood thinner drugs, should NOT consume large quantity of Turmeric.
How to take:
The golden spice support our immune system , helps relieve pain, and help in our digestion. It is advised not to take in large amount. Turmeric is available in capsules, powder, and liquid . The best way to use it, is mixing in food while cooking. Always add it less then recommended quantity. Always play on safe side.